Friday 24 March 2017

When should you visit the dentist?

There are definitely things in life that I hate doing.  I really don't like paying for car bills, or oil changes.  I also do not like spending money on my healthcare even though it matters way more than a car.  I really hate spending money on the dentist.  I think that the reason for not liking the dentist goes far beyond just the horror movies, but involves actually mental and physical pain.  The idea of spending money to go into a painful situation is something that most people can agree on is not fun.  This means that people are simply not going to see their dentist at all and in this day and age where dental insurance can cost as much as a car payment, the costs are too much for many living in 2021


Honestly, how often should we take the time to spend the money and see the dentist?  That is actually very dependent on your own personal health and dental hygiene.  We all have different standards for what works best for our bodies.  I know that the ADA suggests you do a bi-annual checkup with your dentist.  This in theory is a pretty good amount of times and for most people should be enough.  Dentists like to see you to save you money a lot of the time.  Preventative visits are really important and can truly bump up your life savings. 




I know for me that I hate being in pain if I can help it.  My own personal thought process is that if I can see a dentist twice a year and it only costs about 200 dollars to due so I may actually be saving money.  I mean this because Dentists like to let you know where your mouth is on a health rating.  They can let you know if you need to add something to your dental routine in order to avoid a bigger issue down the road.  The cost of a car payment can outway the cost of a car. That is a good way to think about dental visits.  I also like to have my teeth cleaned by a professional because I don't want to end up getting rid of enamel that is important and when I am now no longer able to grow it I need another option.



So it can really save a ton of money, and people still don't go?  Ya, and in fact, dental insurance is too expensive and the cost of out-of-pocket trips is not worth it to many because they don't feel any pain.  That is also why they don't want to go back in the future because they only go to the dentist when there is an emergency.  It is a vicious cycle that I completely understand and can't truly blame anyone for.  



Many people are just not going to go for money reasons because they can't afford it.  Preventative medicine doesn't fit their bill or their pocketbook and I am not entirely against this. I am a firm believer in that you are in control of your own health and no one should be able to force you to do anything you don't want to.  I just want people to know their options and to be able to take care of themselves because that is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dental Dysplasia And Its Types

Dental dysplasia is a rare condition that affects the formation of dentin. Dentin is a mineralized layer of a tooth. Dental dysplasia refer...